When it comes to inflammatory responses in the body we all know what symptoms it can be related to such as, pain, swelling, redness, digestive problems to more serious chronic problems which eventually causes added health concerns.
As a woman you’ve come to understand the way your body works, the sensitivities you may have and gradual changes occurring in your body that were once not previously present. Inflammation in the body can begin slowly no matter what age we are or how well we feel. It can be a silent killer that sudden provides signs and symptoms that its present in the body.
It is clear now that you don’t have to succumb to the slow age of the body. You can actually fight the aging process with natural, gentle herbs that can actually support your body at the same time.
Through chronic inflammation has been linked to diseases such as Alzheimer’s, autoimmunity, cancer, heart disease and other health conditions there are very effective yet gentle herbs and spices that can reduce inflammation. Here are 5 powerful yet effective herbs to fight inflammation in the body:
1. Green tea: Drinking 2-3 cups of tea such as organic green tea can really benefit the body due to its anti-inflammatory properties, such as polyphenols called epigallocatechin 3-gallate (EGCG) , an antioxidant that is contained in green teas. It may help the body protect itself against cellular damage caused by free radicals which causes oxidative stress on the body. When free radical increase in numbers it can eventually damage the body over time. Other teas that contain polyphenols are white, oolong and black tea.
2. French Maritime Pine Bark (Pycnogenol): has been around for over 2,000 years. It contains an extract called pycnogenol that helps heal wounds, ulcers, prevent diabetes, protects the heart and blood vessels. It also has powerful anti-aging properties. Some other important health benefits of French Maritime Pine include:
- Boosts brain function
- May with asthma symptoms
- Strengthens the heart
- Can strengthen the immune system
- It may balance sugar levels
3. Frankincense (Boswellia serrata): This powerful resin extract comes from places such as Somalia, Ethiopia and Arabia. Boswellia Serrata contains anti-inflammatory actions which makes it one of the most effective natural medicines out on the market today. Many of the complex processes includes a significant suppression of leukotrienes which has anti-inflammatory effects on the immune system. Inflammatory diseases can really benefits from an extract such as Boswellia Serrata since it allows the body to recover naturally without compromising or bombarding the immune system with substances that can cause harmful side effects. Boswellia Serra has been used as a treatment for rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, osteoarthritis, inflammatory bowel disease and other complex chronic and or acute conditions.
4. Cat’s Claw: Cat’s Claw is a wood spine which comes from the rainforest areas of South America and Central America. The two most common species is U. guianensis and U. tomentosa. The history of Cats Claw dates back all the way to the Inca civilization which used this herb for anti-inflammatory properties, infections, contraception, cancer to assist in strengthening the immune system. Today Cat’s Claw is generally used as a supplement for Alzheimer’s, osteoarthritis, cancer, autoimmune symptoms, Lyme disease, digestive conditions and irritable bowel syndrome. However, the species is U. guianensis provides more potent anti-inflammatory and antioxidant effects.
5. DGL (Deglycyrrhizinated) Licorice Root: Licorice root is a member of the legume family and there are many species that come from Asia, US and Europe. It is very well known in Chinese medicine as an anti-inflammatory herb 4 gastrointestinal conditions, minor colds and female reproductive problems. Licorice root is very complex in that it has over a hundred and seventy compounds within it. It contains the main compounds: coumarins, triterpenoids, flavonoids and stilbenoids. Each of these compounds contain anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Some of the benefits of DGL Licorice include:
leaky gut symptoms
Strengthens the immune system
Can alleviate common systems of pain
contains antispasmodic properties for symptoms of cough
can strengthen the immune system, it may regulate cortisol therefore relieving stress on the adrenals in adrenal fatigue
May relieve menopausal symptoms
Eliminating/expelling mucus in the lungs.
Conclusion: When it comes to fighting inflammation is very essential to begin as early as possible before symptoms linger, making it more difficult to attack the inflammatory cells within the immune system. Once we are able to understand this knowledge can help you take control of your own health more effectively. Knowledge is power and taking your health into your own hands is sometimes more effective rather than harsh, compounded, suppressive substances that may cause more harm than good.
As we begin to understand science in this modern world today it is clear that inflammation does affect and impact the human body in so many ways. As a woman in today’s world taking on so much in your life can be a burden on your overall health. Therefore having the right ammunition of powerful herbs within your grasp can effectively combat inflammation in order to maintain a healthy sustainable life.
Camille McClellan, MD, DNM, MBS
McClellan Natural Health, Wellness & Nutrition
Free Naturopathic/Homeopathic Consults Available