Pain is a common problem for people who suffer from various chronic conditions. The main symptom and fibromyalgia is pain. Other chronic conditions that are related to pain include lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
When it comes to treating most doctors prescribe various medications including non steroidal inflammatory, opioids, antidepressants and anti-seizure drugs. unfortunately the common problem that comes with prescription medications don’t solve pain relief for most patients.
Many who suffer with pain search for natural options to ease their pain. We have increased our knowledge about herbal medicine. There are various medicines including Boswellia Serrata that can control and suppress inflammation in the body.
Alternative arthritis pain relievers can offer safe and natural solutions for those people who seek a more normal way of treating arthritis and avoid the serious side effects of conventional medications and other anti-inflammatory drugs. After proof of complications of the use of Cox-2 inhibitors present in most arthritis pain reliever medications were ascertain, alternative arthritis medicines are becoming more and more popular.
There are many alternative arthritis pain relievers today for arthritic pain. An easy to use alternative arthritis pain reliever is an arthritic diet, exercise programs, relaxation, positive emotion coping techniques, and even acupuncture are considered to be an alternative arthritis pain reliever.
It is always advisable however, to check with your doctor first for medical opinion before using any alternative arthritis pain reliever. Then later on, when time and resources allow, you can test other options for alternative arthritis pain reliever.
Boswellia is an herb of 16 known species. The Boswellia species related to Indian Frankincense is Boswellia serrata. Having been taken and tested for centuries, it is widely known to have powerful health effects. Boswellia sacra, commonly known as Frankincense, is used for aromatherapy and incense.
Boswellia serrata is an herb that can be very beneficial for women’s health. Women suffering from chronic conditions (including autoimmune conditions, including fibromyalgia) should consider using it. It has been mentioned to work very well for Ulcerative colitis, Fibromyalgia and Rheumatoid Arthritis, just to name a few other conditions. It can be consumed in capsule form, as an essential oil or as a liquid.
The resin made from Boswellia serrata comes from Asia and Africa, and helps with various types of conditions. It has also been around for thousands of years in India and Arabia, helping to alleviate inflammation in the joints. Its powerful healing properties can:
- Support a healthy digestive system
- Strengthen and alleviate joint discomfort
- Improve skin ulcerations
- Strengthen the immune system
- Calm and relax the nervous system
- Fight fungal infections
- Support the urinary tract
- Improve cold and flus
- Support anti-aging goals
Boswellia serrata comes in essential oil form, which is called olibanum, which is also known as Frankincense. This amazing essential oil is grown mainly in Oman, Yemen, Ethiopia and Somalia, and has become very popular today. Here are a few more important Boswellia properties:
- Anti-anxiety, depressant
Studies have shown that Boswellia is very safe, even in high doses, in monkeys, rats and mice. Boswellia serrata is often used in different ways, such as:
- For topical application
- Skin cream
- An oil for massage
- Aromatherapy for loosening phlegm in the lungs
- Dental health
Potential warnings for Boswellia include :
- Pregnant women should avoid using it.
- Those on blood thinners or blood clotting medication may want to avoid using this herb.
Boswellia can help alleviate pain by managing it. However, it’s important to understand that it is always recommended that you get the advice of your physician if you use any prescription medications.
Arthritis Home Remedies
For millions of people who suffer from arthritis, most turn to pain relievers. Reliable pain relief is a vital concern. The agonizing feeling by simply walking up the stairs is discouraging and can drive patients to be depressed. If a person cannot function properly, the body is not balanced and often they become victims of their pain driving them to seek alternatives.
Because of the increasing cost of medicines nowadays, arthritis patients have started to seek for arthritis home remedies. But before discontinuing a prescription medication, consult a physician first.
However, with a doctor’s approval, there are many natural options that may aid in managing arthritis. These simple arthritis home remedies might just help relieve you from pain of arthritis:
Arthritis Home Remedies (natural)
- Two teaspoons of lemon juice and a teaspoon of honey mixed in a cup of warm water twice a day is good for curing arthritis.
- Taking alfalfa tea twice a day makes a good cure.
- Rub the aching joints with hot vinegar to get some relief from pain.
- Add one tablespoon cold liver oil to the juice of one orange, whip and drink before sleeping.
- Two teaspoons of juice of fresh leaves of bathua drink every day on an empty stomach for 2-3 months.
- Two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar and two tablespoons of honey dissolved in a small glass of warm water taken once or twice a day brings relief.
- A great liniment to bathe afflicted joint is adding two parts pure olive oil and one part lavender essential oil.
- One raw of clove garlic every day, garlic boosts the immune system and can really help reduce the pain of arthritis.
Other Arthritis Home Remedies that you can do:
- Losing weight and getting close to your ideal weight is a fairly simple way to relieve arthritis because the less you weigh, the less weight on your joints, and less pain.
- Exercise will greatly help you relieve some of the pain, especially in a pool. You weigh less when you are in water and less strain on your joints plus you are more flexible. This can also help you lose weight and keep your muscles toned.
- As much as you can, eliminate stress. The more relaxed you are and resting enough helps remove some of that pin.
Arthritis Home remedies – Dietary Supplements
You may add dietary supplements to your daily routine, however you should first check with your healthcare advisor before doing so because some supplements can cause adverse reactions and may not be suitable for you condition.
The most well known dietary supplements for arthritis sufferers are:
- Fish oil: Fish oil helps in controlling the inflammation in the body
- Glucosamin: Sulfate-Glucosamine has been found out to be a cartilage-building substance that is effective for long-term relief of osteoarthritis pain.
- Chondroitin-Draws fluid into the cartilage that improves shock-absorbing ability and weight control.
- MSM. This organic sulfur is also used in reducing inflammation.
These are just a few examples of arthritis home remedies that an arthritis patient can use when seeking pain relief with home remedies. However since scientific studies and testing lack on these alternate treatments, there is no proof of their effectiveness. Nutritional supplements, application of heat or cold to affected joints, exercise, and weight loss can improve the joints function and flexibility and perhaps even slow the progress of the disease.
Camille McClellan, MD, DNM, MBS
McClellan Natural Health, Wellness & Nutrition
Free Naturopathic/Homeopathic Consults Available