The environment is full of chemicals, pollutants, allergens and other various types of toxins that can cause illness including autoimmune and other chronic diseases.
When you eat the standard American diet that is not rich in nutrients this can affect the body’s ability to remove toxic substances for the body over time. Certain unsustainable foods lacking in nutrition substance can affect the body’s detoxification process.
Other environmental properties including the unpurified water you drink and the air you breathe creates a foreign environment in the body that can create many vague or obvious symptoms that can eventually lead to more serious complications.
When the body is loaded with toxins many of the organs are affected in many ways. This creates a host of various problems that can go wrong with the organ systems. What is more important is that the human body tends to take in harmful toxins that can be harbored for many years.
On a positive note there are a variety of ways that we can make ourselves healthy and strong. Detoxification is a normal process of the body which eliminates toxins and many times doesn’t require supplements and specific diets. However, it is always essential to enhance the body’s natural way of detoxify due to harmful environmental substances today.
A simple way to start a detox is through organic whole foods. Foods are a gentle, safe way that is easily accessible and available to you. What is important to understand is that you are an individual and each person goes through a detoxification process differently. What may be good for one person may not be so effective for another, so it’s important to understand from this perspective that the results differ from person to person.
Studies show that nearly 92% of those who were surveyed through an email address responded using detoxification therapies. Many included health practitioners and patience using detoxification measures for environmental exposure, cleansing, preventive medicine, digestive conditions and autoimmune diseases.
Many people feel that a detox simple means using a diet that is restricted in sugar, milk and wheat. However, the word detoxification is commonly used throughout society. It is often referred to as weight loss, overcoming addiction or a short-term relief from mild or moderate symptoms. The true definition of detoxification is the process by removing toxic substances from the bloodstream.
What is beneficial in detoxifying the body is consuming foods very rich in vitamins, minerals, fats and oils.
Common foods used in detoxification include:
- Fats: Organic coconut oil, avocado oil and olive oil Vegetables of all types including a variety of colors
- Fruits: fruits of wide variety contain phytonutrients with protective antioxidants not to mention the high content of soluble and insoluble fiber.
- Nuts and seeds: almonds, walnuts, flax seeds and sunflower seeds
- Protein: grass-fed beef, wild caught Seafood
One of the reasons why you should consider a gentle detox for your body is that many of these foods and herbs contain natural rich digestive enzymes that are highly beneficial for the digestive system as well as being an important component of detoxification.
Here are some various ways in which detoxification can benefit your autoimmune or chronic conditions:
- It improves energy and vitality
- Strengthen immune system
- Improves sleep
- Can support the management of stress
- Helps with concentration
- Reduces inflammation in the body
- May improve circulation
Here are some common ways to detoxify the body:
- Taking a variety of foods to support the liver, kidneys and colon
- Herbs & supplements
- regular exercise
- Elimination of alcohol, refined sugars and cigarettes
- Eliminating chemicals in foods, household products and makeup
- Avoiding allergenic foods such as: Wheat, dairy, eggs, soy
The liver is often under stress or threatened by various toxins including poor diet, alcohol, allergens and other pollutants in the air. Certain studies demonstrate that once exposed to these elements the organs of the body can become overloaded and has to work on overdrive which causes the liver to be congested and sluggish overtime. What can result is serious organ malfunction and a number of diseases can appear.
A liver detox is a simple process to eliminate harmful elements from the liver. It is one of the best results that you can benefit from and clients and patients see immediate results from a simple liver detox.
Some mild discomfort and symptoms detoxification may occur while the body adjusts to the new foods that are being introduced to the digestive system.
Some of these mild detox symptoms that may occur include:
- Mild headaches
- Digestive discomfort
Gentle herbs are becoming a well known resource to improve your overall health. There are many herbs on the market today that can support the liver, kidneys and gallbladder. The digestive system also plays a very important part of detoxification.
Here are some top herbs to support a body detox:
- Dandelion: This gentle herb is often used to support the liver. It can be infused and made with plant leaves or it can also be taken in capsule form. It’s been shown to help with weight loss, digestives ailments, promote healthy liver function, improves skin appearance and it has anti-carcinogenic properties. It also promotes the release of bile which helps remove toxins from the body. Dandelion contains insulin which acts as a prebiotic for the gut, contains vitamins A, C, D, iron, magnesium, manganese, potassium, copper, calcium, chlorine, boron, silicon, and zinc.
- Spirulina and Chlorella: Edible algae is becoming a common dietary food due to its detox properties. Both algae have similar properties and nutrients contained in them. They both have high amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, iron, calcium, fiber including good bacteria that supports the gut.
- Stinging Nettle Leaves: Stinging Nettle is filled with protein, vitamins and minerals. This herb can rid the body of excess waste cleanse the skin, alleviate allergies, help with benign pro static hyperplasia, reduces inflammation of the joints, eliminate uric acid, is used as a diuretic, can support the bladder and may alleviate fluid retention.
It is also very essential to get assistance from your healthcare provider. Discuss reasons why you desire to take herbs and foods to help alleviate many of your symptoms through a detox process. Your healthcare provider would be able to determine what types of foods would be beneficial, including herbs and other supplements.
If you desire long-term results it is always important to look into individualized care related to you’re unique symptoms and body makeup. It’s important to give your body a certain time frame to adjust to the new regimen. The mistake that many people take is using a detox for a certain amount of time causing stress on the body. Depending on your individual circumstances and health-related problems a detox can benefit you but it’s important to get the professional assistance especially if you suffer from a chronic condition.
Camille McClellan, MD, DNM, MBS
McClellan Natural Health, Wellness & Nutrition
Free Naturopathic/Homeopathic Consults Available