Homeopathy is a very deep and complex medicine that many Americans are still unsure about. Most people know homeopathy to be used as an ointment topicals to be placed onto the skin for rashes, mild burns or cuts, and scrapes. However, homeopathy is used today for many autoimmune and other chronic inflammatory conditions including thyroid conditions.
As a health professional that attended conventional medical school then later attending integrative and natural medicine, I began seeing the world differently the moment I started observing the transformations taking place in my holistic patients.
Homeopathy is a very dynamic and amazing alternative medicine that has been around for centuries. What many people don’t realize is that it has a profound ability to strengthen almost every system in the body without harsh side effects.
For women that are struggling with their health, this is an amazing option. While common medications suppress the body’s ability to function optimally, homeopathy provides a safe, gentle yet effective way to bring back vitality to your body once again.
Our thyroid is so essential for growth, development and metabolism. It helps us regulate body functions which is released by the thyroid hormone. The thyroid gland weighs between 20 and 60 grams. It is a butterfly shaped organ that is found in front of the neck under the voice box. The thyroid gland produces three hormones triiodothyronine T3, tetraiodothyronine T4 and calcitonin. The thyroxine and triiodothyronine are considered as the thyroid hormones.
Iodine is one of the main building blocks for all hormones related to the thyroid. Our bodies cannot produce this trace elements on its own so it is important that we get it from our diet. The way in which the thyroid hormone works is that the pituitary gland tells the thyroid gland to release either less or more of the thyroid hormone into the bloodstream. Calcitonin however, secretes calcium it’s a bone metabolism.
Here is a list of some examples of what the thyroid hormones in the body:
- Body temperature
- Metabolic regulation
- Growth production
- Brain maturity
- Activation of the nervous system
What can go wrong with the thyroid gland:
- Hypothyroidism: underactive thyroid gland
- Hyperthyroidism: overactive thyroid gland
- Thyroiditis: Inflammation of the thyroid gland
- Hashimoto’s thyroiditis: related to an autoimmune disease
- Thyrotoxicosis: which is related to Graves disease
- Adenoma: a toxic thyroid adenoma is referred to as an overproduction of thyroid hormones
- Graves disease: related to an autoimmune disease (excessive levels of the thyroid gland)
- Thyrotoxicosis: symptoms of this condition is related to high levels of the thyroid hormone released into the bloodstream which increases the metabolic rate
- Goiter: is an increased size of the thyroid gland which causes nodules to grow making it lumpy and enlarged
4 reasons to start thinking of homeopathy for your thyroid imbalance:
1. Toxic medications can cause harm to the thyroid gland: Medications such as Amiodarone and Lithium can cause excessive production of the thyroid gland. These are common prescription medications on the market today but there are many other drugs that can create havoc on the thyroid gland and cause harmful imbalances in the body.
2. Homeopathy can treat the root cause of your thyroid condition: When a correct remedy specific for you is selected after evaluation and analysis the remedies can stimulate your thyroid gland to start producing the thyroid hormone the correct way. Experienced homeopaths can help regulate the thyroid hormone to lower the symptoms that you’re been suffering with on a continual basis.
3. Homeopathy is safe and gentle on the body: When you look at the increased doses on medications that are on the drug market today you will begin to realize how impactful this can be on the body’s system. A more gentle, safe approach to your wellness is essential, especially when it is related to any particular hormone that is released in your body. Homeopathy can also be taken with other conventional medications without worrying about having any harsh side effects.
4. Homeopathy can be provided as specialized/individualized care specific to your needs: Whether you have an underactive thyroid, an overactive thyroid or an enlarged thyroid gland homeopathy can stimulate the correct amount of hormones your body needs in order to bring your thyroid gland back into balance.
Remember, you have a very high risk of thyroid disease if you:
1. You’ve been exposed to radiation
2. Have a family member with thyroid disease
3. You are exposed to many environmental chemicals
4. You are in menopause
5. You were diagnosed with fibromyalgia
6. Got a family member with an autoimmune disease
7. Treated with lithium
8. If you are female
9. You use tobacco
10. You are over 60
11. You are pregnant or just had a baby
12. Been diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome
13. You have pituitary or endocrine disease
One size doesn’t fit all. We are unique and come with our own problems. Just like all autoimmune and other chronic conditions are different for each person. That’s why it’s so important to follow your own unique path. Listen to your inner voice. You don’t always find the answers quickly but in your own way and time. Remember there is no one way rather a variety of holistic approaches that can get you well on your way to better health.
There are many homeopathic remedies that can be listed on this blog today, however it works best with individualized/specialized care that is specific to you as an individual. The way homeopathy works is that it restores health to the thyroid gland. It may take some time to see results compared to conventional medicine, however, it restores the body back to health in a more gentle, safe and effective way with less harmful side effects.
I’ve studied homeopathy for four years and have worked with many homeopathic patients for over 12 years. It has given me the foundation and the experience necessary to provide sound decisions for all my homeopathic [patients/clients that seek homeopathy as their stand alone care for their wellness programs.
Homeopathy is a wonderful gentle medicine that allows the body to rebuild itself. I’ve come to understand more around homeopathy and what positive changes can occur when you start adding homeopathy to your daily life!
Camille McClellan, MD, DNM, MBS
McClellan Natural Health, Wellness & Nutrition
Free Naturopathic/Homeopathic Consults Available